Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas 2013 Our Rustic Country Living Room


Thanks for visiting! I appreciate how busy you are at this time of year and that there is so much to see on blogs. Finding different ways to use the same decorations is something I enjoy when the bins are pulled out each year. We enjoy a natural rustic look and this year in our living room I tried to keep the look consistent with the other main floor rooms, although with less red in here. Rustic with a bit of sparkle.


I enjoy layering my thrifted, garage sale and clearance finds with home made pieces and architectural salvage. The actual Christmas specific decorations are from previous years at Real Canadian Superstore, Canadian Tire and dollar stores. A few of the decorations are summer clearance items from a country gift shop. 



The only new items in here this year are the four mercury glass balls, the large pine cones on the tree and the deer ribbon on the pillows.


I shared the coffee table arrangement here. I used a vintage linen cutwork piece to line the tray and layered in pine cones, greenery, large mercury glass balls, small balls and dollar store stars that I painted and glittered. I also added small glass ball ornaments to the lanterns.


Since I have yet to finish sewing the second chair slipcover I am using a matelasse twin bedspread to cover the chair. I bought big bunches of pine and cedar from the grocery and filled lots of containers throughout our home. We like using pine cones year round, some are collected from the ground and the bigger cones are from the grocery store several years ago.


The Pottery Barn inspired PEACE sign I painted was shared here and the vintage skis were $10 several years ago from a local recycling shop.


Extra ornaments and greenery fill the footed mercury glass bowl on the dresser. The Madonna and child statue was 50 cents at a church craft fair last year.


The little wire basket was gold and left over from a bath gift set. I spray painted it silver this year and filled it with vintage wood spools, pinecones, pine and glass balls.


Another vintage mason jar is filled with brown bells and greenery. The little ceramic Santa and snowman are votive holders. 


I recently switched out the white painted end tables for this pair I picked up curbside from a neighbour in the spring. I have plans to paint them.


Our second tree, decorated in my style, rustic and outdoorsy with a bit of sparkle.



Keeping it simple I used brown paper, yarn and fabric scraps and homemade tags to wrap gifts under this tree.



Reusing ornaments we have had for several years, our tree in here is decked out in stars, bells, balls, pine cones, and glittered deer tags I made.


Our family room tree has all the special collected family ornaments and coloured lights, so I really enjoy the simple cool and warm white LED lights on this tree. The mix of cool white and warm white was a happy accident. 



I also reused the burlap garland and the muslin garland I made.


More greenery with a simple burlap bow hangs on a chippy old window frame.


My favourite look, neutrals and naturals.


I keep spare vintage canning jars in this wire crate and filled them with extra tiny glass ball ornaments and silver bells. Thanks for visiting and I hope you are enjoying your preparation and activities leading up to Christmas. 
 


Joining in the following parties....
 
 

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Elizabeth, Your home looks really nice and very festive, the tree with the rusty looking bells and stars is my favourite, I enjoyed seeing it last year, too. I like your natural farmhouse style.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Love it, Elizabeth! Very pretty!!!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Very pretty Elizabeth. So inspiring.

Meggie said...

A perfect room....love your style.

chateau chic said...

I really like your bits of sparkle mixed in with your natural woodsy elements. Very warm and cozy Christmas decor!
Mary Alice

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Everything is so pretty, I love how you stay true to your decor with Christmas. Gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Christine Graves said...

Such a pretty Living room, and I love your tree. Those stars are my favorite!

Carol said...

I really like the sparkly silver ornaments combined with the greenery and pinecones!

Liz Hockamier said...

I love it! I looks so wintery and fun! :)

Merry Christmas!
~Liz

Vintage Prairie Style said...

love it elizabeth! i can't even tell you which is my favorite, i love it all!

Tanya Runkle said...

I love your beautiful living room Elizabeth!! The pinecones and crisp white fabrics are fabulous :) Merry Christmas to you! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...