Sunday, January 12, 2014

Organizing Christmas Decorations

Like many of you, last week we headed back to work and school after the holidays with snow and frigid temperatures and this weekend the temperatures warmed with rain and freezing rain.


 With cold and wet weather I have been inspired to stay indoors after work and continue with organizing lots of cupboards and drawers. Today I am sharing our Christmas decoration storage.


Our Christmas decorations have always been stored in shoe boxes placed in big totes. Even with labelling I was finding it hard to figure out what was in each shoe box. I was inspired by Yvonne at StoneGable's Christmas decoration storage using smaller clear totes. The contents are easy to identify and just the containers needed at the time can be brought upstairs to decorate.


Early in January I bought 25 clear storage containers when they were on sale half price.


Taking down the trees and storing all our decorations was so much easier this year. The bins are stored on a heavy duty wire shelving rack in our large basement storage room. The three largest clear bins store large balls, small balls, and ribbon. To keep the glass balls safe I kept the original trays they came in and got rid of the outer flimsy (and sharp) plastic boxes. (The first picture shows the balls as I was gathering them off the tree and sorting by size, before I thought to use the original trays.)


Four deep smaller bins hold tissue- and bubble-wrapped clear glass balls and special fragile ornaments. The shoe box sizes were perfect for bead garland, faux berries, jingle bells, pine cones, stars etc. When I came across stray ornaments I forgot to put away (like glittery deer on the living room lamps) I could easily find the container. 


We still have four huge totes (Christmas village, faux greenery, indoor lights and tree toppers, and stockings/quilted) stacked beside the wire shelf unit. And this is after I purged Christmas decor last year. I was considering parting with the village but my boys aren't ready for that. The four shelf rolling organizer peeking into the photo above keeps extra bubble wrap, tissue paper and clear ziplock bags close at hand. Whenever I pop downstairs to the freezer I enjoy seeing the new Christmas storage. I'm weird like that ha!

I like to organize year round but in November I started deep cleaning and organizing all our storage areas, right down to the smallest closets and drawers. I'm not finished yet but is amazing how spaces can become cluttered again so there is lots of purging going on. While they are usually not pretty pictures, I may share more of my storage before and afters, like our front entry closet that I shared here.

Do you tackle organizing projects year round, or are you a January resolution-type organizer?

I'm sharing this at the following parties...

19 comments:

  1. I wish I was on top of it just like you.....this year I took baskets from my craft room and filled them with my bulbs.....and called it good.....I am recovering from knee surgery....I did empty a closet last year for my Christmas décor....so now its easy to store my stuff from year to year....without going up or down any stairs....but my hubby had to haul the tubs of greenery and tree downstairs for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so far as to putting everything (well except for the few things I keep noticing) in the attic. We are working on a major redo (shelves, cubbies, etc.) so in the attic is where they will stay until I get the shelves to the attic.

    Your decorations look great and ready for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a good idea to use clear storage boxes! I have the worst problem with mine because I don't have them labeled and I can't see what's in them. I really need to do a better job with my storage situation! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the organizing. I am an ongoing organizer. It made me smile to see those bins with the pop up lid. I have them too. This year I forced my self to use only the wrapping paper I had on hand. And then of course I was able to buy the clearouts LOL. I am forever remodeling somewhere, and that requires reorganizing. I have been trying very hard to LET IT GO....and then I watch hoarders...again....and again....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh now that is organized! I am a creatively cluttered type person! I am trying to rethink most things to be more organized, I am not there yet!
    Love your inspiration!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea.. it would be easier to locate things.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas organization looks wonderful. I am on the same mission. We have lived in the new house for 5 years now and it is time to purge. Hubby is going out of town this week and I plan on getting started. I work better on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas organization looks wonderful. I am on the same mission. We have lived in the new house for 5 years now and it is time to purge. Hubby is going out of town this week and I plan on getting started. I work better on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is "wow"! I felt good when I got my holiday boxes organized by room, but this is fabulous!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great storage solution! I use the same clear containers for my fabric stash, they keep everything dry and stack so nicely. Nice wire shelves too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ... that is so neat. My decorations are all in dark totes. This makes so much more sense ... especially as you say, you always find things after everything is packed away and your system would make it easy to find hte right bin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is exactly what I have been doing, too, Elizabeth. It really feels good to be getting rid of excess and clutter. We can do this!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure do have some great ideas here with storing all your Christmas décor. Every year, I get rid of things, maybe soon I will only have 10 totes (mine are the large size).

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea to buy the clear plastic totes. I have mine in 2 large totes and they're the ornaments I use the least! The rest are in labelled boxes and original boxes in a closet. That's the area that I really need to tackle and I'll definitely try to remember to do this next Christmas when I take it down. I just have to get the clear totes on sale. Do you suppose I'll remember to do that then?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the clear tote containers as you can see right inside. Even though I label the boxes and totes it seems each year some go back in different ones and after awhile the labels get crossed out numerous times and it gets hard to figure out what is inside. I'm always trying to organize and declutter but never seem to get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the clear tote containers as you can see right inside. Even though I label the boxes and totes it seems each year some go back in different ones and after awhile the labels get crossed out numerous times and it gets hard to figure out what is inside. I'm always trying to organize and declutter but never seem to get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wait until my aunt comes over and does it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm impressed! You're so organized! I have mine in bins but they're not labeled so I never know what is where.
    Happy 2014! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that looks great!!! I love the clear containers too. I started a re-vamp in the basement last January and am continuing the purge this year.....it never ends!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE getting comments and read each one. They truly make me smile! If you have a question I will email you. Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...